.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Marketing Deals&Steals

Special Offers (deals) and Freebies (steals) of Interest to Marketers.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Is this honest?

Is this honest?

My answer is no.

This is the promotional email Mike Chen sent me to promote his new "secret weapon" which goes on sale for just two weeks starting today. Read it and I'll tell you why it is dishonest on the other side.

------------------

From: YOURFIRST YOURLAST
Subject: Secret About the Secret Weapon ...

Hi FIRST,

You're probably wading through a mountain of email today about
Mike Chen's Secret Weapon just launched:

http://genenash.com/r/secretweapon

Let me let you in on a little secret. I was one of the beta
testers for this - sworn to secrecy, so I know what I'm talking
about: you would be absolutely crazy not to go grab a copy
of this thing this very instant.

I can't think of a more important investment you can make on your
business this year, or the next three years.

It is *that* important.

YOURFIRST

YOURFIRST YOURLAST

------------------

Here's why it (and all the promo material) is dishonest: I, and probably every other person sending you this, have never seen the product. They've made a special point of not releasing any information about it.

Yet they've sent this to all the affiliates and encouraged them to mail it out.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of the people encouraged to mail this were not beta testers and have no idea what the product is. So the "secret" about the secret weapon is a flat out lie.

Then there's this, from another promo-mail:

"It took me about just a few quick minutes to decide to grab a
copy. I think it's safe to say it's an investment that could
pay for itself many times over in no time."

Again, how can we make such a snap decision over something we've been kept in the dark about? The judgement of any GURU who would make such a snap decision has to be seriously questioned.

Lastly there's this little bit that I've seen used a lot:

"I've been looking for a tool like this for *years*."

Same criticism, go around number three.

Look, this may well be the greatest invention since sliced bread. This may well be the marketing atom bomb. This may well the product that will catapault your web business to the next level.

But you'll have to decide that for yourself. I can't tell you that because I haven't seen anything more than the same hype you have. And neither have most of the people sending out these dishonest claims. Keep that in mind when you're deciding whose links to buy through.

Yours,
Gene Nash


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home